Witney based cabling company, overhauls communications room for leading gaming software manufacturer
PUBLISHED: 12:41 17 February 2016 | UPDATED: 17:22 18 February 2016
The Cabling Company successfully won a bid against two other national cabling suppliers, to revamp a dysfunctional communications room for a gaming software company
The Windsor based leading gaming software manufacturer approached The Cabling Company in Witney, to quote for the complete overhaul and revamp a dysfunctional communications room. The Cabling Company won the bid as the results offered the customer multiple benefits, including the ability to identify issues quickly and subsequently save hours of time.
The gaming software company faced a number of challenges that were slowing their IT team down and preventing them from taking on a more proactive role in the business. These challenges included:
• Piecemeal additions being made to the communications room over many years, creating a disorganised and confusing workspace for IT staff
• No clear signposts or way of working, making it time-consuming to identify issues and patch in new users
• An inefficient and slow network creating frustrations for all staff
The Cabling Company came up with a number of solutions that solved these challenges. These included:
• Communications room audit: This included reviewing, supplying and installing new containment in the communications room, removing all existing patches, and replacing with colour-coded patch leads.
• Testing CAT6 outlets: The Cabling Company tested 900 CAT6 outlets across all fie of the company’s floors in order to uncover and overcome any unidentified network issues. Some of these outlets had not been installed correctly by a previous cabling supplier, so these were fixed by The Cabling Company.
• Supplying CAD drawings: New CAD drawings supplied by The Cabling Company showed outlet locations and cabling routes, making accessing, patching and fixing issues far easier than ever before.
The work took The Cabling Company team just 4 days to complete over two weekends and the customer was delighted with the quick turnaround of these timescales. In addition to the communications room looking and acting like new, the company has also seen the following benefits:
• Greater network efficiency and faster connections for staff
• IT staff are now able to quickly identify and fix issues, and get back to working on more proactive tasks for the company
• IT staff can also clearly see cabling routes thanks to the CAD drawings, and rapidly patch in new staff when required
The Cabling Company’s installation team integrated easily with the customer’s IT team. They provided them with all the information and materials they need to keep the communications room functioning efficiently, even oversupplying spare patch leads for the future. The gaming company’s IT director was very pleased with the way the work was carried out. He had peace of mind that he could trust The Cabling Company when it came to switching everything back on, on the Monday morning.
Any downtime would have cost the company thousands of pounds so The Cabling Company made sure an engineer was on-site every Monday to fix any issues if they occurred. Since this initial work, the gaming software company has returned to The Cabling Company for further projects, testament to the high standards they demonstrated.
The Cabling Company’s Managing Director, David Jackson puts their continually high 80% bid win rate, down to an intricate level of detail and engagement at the quote stage, something that sets them apart from their competitors. The single biggest point of failure in business IT infrastructures is caused by poor management of communications cabinets. In this instance we have created a clear pathway for improved cabling, allowing much improved ease of management and a greater return on investment. “The changes we made for this organisation will see a positive return on investment in just six months.”
Contact The Cabling Company for your free cabling survey: Tel: 0845 11 66 257